By Ready. Set. Grow!
While we should be nice to the Earth all year ‘round, Earth Day is a good time to teach your kids about how and why they can make a difference. Whether you’re going to an Earth Day event (like one of the 14 free or low-cost kid-friendly events this weekend in L.A. County listed below), or going to talk about respecting our planet at home — take this opportunity to instill good, Earth-loving habits in your child now!
- Reduce: Explain that when they leave the lights or the television on when they are not being used, that wastes energy. Tell them that the Earth helps make energy through oil, and that there isn’t a lot of it, so we need to be sure to save some for later! Other ways they can help save energy: turn off the water when brushing teeth, walk or ride a bike instead of taking a car to go a short distance and taking quicker showers.
- Reuse: Encourage your kids to accept and love hand-me-downs from older friends or family members, and get them involved in giving their own gently-used clothes and toys to others — they can either be donated to charity through local thrift shops, like The Goodwill, or passed down to friends and family members.
- Recycle: Young kids like to sort, so whether your house is one that has recycling pick-up or you have to take your recyclables somewhere, get your child involved in sorting the trash from the recyclables. Explain how to look for the triangular recycling symbol on bottles and products, and that things like aluminum cans, glass, paper and cardboard always belong in the recycling bin.
Los Angeles Area Events
- Earth Day Latino 2012, Downtown Los Angeles, Saturday at 8 a.m., Sunday at 10 a.m., Free (optional $7 donation for BBQ dinner)
- Earth Day Celebration, Malibu, Sunday, Noon – 3 p.m., free
- Aquarium of the Pacific Earth Day Celebration, Long Beach, Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., free with aquarium admission
- Topanga Earth Day, Topanga, Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. – sunset, $12 suggested donation
- Star ECO Station’s Children’s Earth Day, Culver City, Sunday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., free http://childrensearthday.org/
- Earth Day Celebration at Descanso Gardens, La Canada Fliñtridge, Saturday and Sunday, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m., most activities with free admission (children 5 and younger get in free)
- Earth Day Fair at L.A. Live, Downtown Los Angeles, Sunday, Noon – 6 p.m., free
- California Poppy Festival, Lancaster, Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., children 5 and younger free, children 6-12 $5, adults $8, seniors 62 and older $5
- Earth Day Expo Weekend at the Los Angeles Zoo, Los Angeles, Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., free with Zoo Admission
- Earth Day, Fun with Purpose through Aqua-Terra Adventures, Terranea Resort, Rancho Palos Verdes, Sunday, Noon – 5 p.m., all fees will be donated to local nonprofit organization partners
- Celebrate Earth Day at Augustus Hawkins Nature Park, Compton, Saturday, Noon – 4 p.m., details available by calling the park at 323-581-4498.
- Earth Day: Because Earth Without Art is Just “Eh,” Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Sunday, Noon, Free with museum admission (free museum admission will be granted to those with a bike helmet or bike parking receipts or those who traveled by alternative transportation)
- Earth Day Celebration at The SEA Lab, Redondo Beach, Saturday, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., free
- Mar Vista Green Garden Showcase, Mar Vista, Saturday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Earth Day at Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, San Pedro, Saturday, 8 a.m. – 3 p.m., free
You can see all of these events, and more, at the Ready. Set. Grow! Family Events page. Check back often!