By Ready. Set. Grow!
Eating healthy and sticking to a budget can be difficult. But families shouldn’t have to feel they are stuck at home for every meal when there are many, many Los Angeles restaurants that offer FREE kids meals. Going out for a meal should be a fun, relaxing and healthy time for families — and feeding kids for free can help make that happen.
Be aware, though, that many of the “kids” meals may not be the healthiest. Healthy food choices begin with you. While occasional treats of French fries and macaroni and cheese are okay, be sure to try healthier options if they are available: grilled chicken and other meats; salad, veggies or fruit as an alternative to chips or fries and pasta with red sauce instead of macaroni and cheese.
Some of the restaurants included in these websites are IHOP, Marie Callender’s, Subway, Denny’s, El Torito, Coco’s, Ruby’s and Islands. Watch the fine print for restrictions on days and times, ages and how many adult meals, if any, need to be purchased to get the kids’ meals free.
- For the South Bay (like Carson, Hawthorne and Torrance) — check out the Daily Breeze’s Kids Eat Free feature.
- For the Long Beach area (including Whittier, Norwalk and Lakewood) — visit the Press Telegram’s Kids Eat Free feature.
- Kidseat4free.com has a searchable database.
- The Los Angeles version of kidseatfor.com has the restaurants displayed in a weekly calendar.
- The website lawithkids.com has some listings not found on other sites for non-chain restaurants.
* * *
Through April, our Eat Healthy, Grow Strong campaign will feature blog entries about nutritious eating, along with recipes, tips and resources for you to help your family Eat Healthy, Grow Strong! Be sure to visit www.ReadySetGrowLA.org/EatHealthy for even more ways to make good eating a part of your life, including upcoming events and a Nutrition Quiz to win great prizes.